Clark Wilson LLP is Hiring a Director of Legal Talent
Grow With Us And Be Your Best
The Director of Legal Talent is a key member of our management team reporting to the COO and firm leadership. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, confident individual to have direct influence over the recruitment, growth and retention of our legally designated client facing professionals. The ideal candidate will have experience working within in a professional services environment and experience in managing high performance teams, is passionate about people and wants to work in a progressive and inclusive environment.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Day to day resource management of our professionals including their career development, performance reviews, work schedules, compensation and other actions required to manage the team;
- Manage the performance review process and performance evaluation meetings;
- Act as one of the resource people, and adviser to leadership and professionals;
- Manages offboarding and exit processes;
- Manage and administer all issues and business related to absences, parental leave, secondments, arrivals and departures;
- Coordinate all ethical and code of professional conduct issues pertaining to the arrival and departure of professionals;
- Manage, administer and participate in the lateral hiring process; market analysis, recruitment, applications review and interviews;
Training and mentoring
- Identify the training needs of associates, work closely with the management team and the Director of Professional Development to deliver effective training by suggesting relevant programs;
- Partner in the operation of the mentoring program by encouraging mentee/mentor relationships and acting as an intermediary, if necessary;
Recruitment, retention and engagement
- In partnership with the Director of Professional Development manage the professional development of our client facing professionals with a focus on recruitment and retention;
- Work closely with our professionals to ensure their integration through effective onboarding in partnership with HR and the Director of Professional Development,;
- Promote transparent and effective communication and to support career development; and
Other projects as required.
How You’ll Be a Great Fit For This Role
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive related experience and progressive talent management
- Experience leading teams implementing programs in a professional services environment
- Ability to manage, support, motivate, influence and inspire
- Understanding of the Canadian legal market and private practice in a law firm
- Autonomy and proactive approach
- Ability to evolve comfortably in a demanding and fast-paced work environment
- Professional rigour, attention to detail and ability to work under pressure with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task while responding to changing priorities
- Ability to adhere to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills; highly developed empathy and listening skills
- Sound judgment, tact, flexibility, open-mindedness and the ability to work with others and build strong working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally
Qualifications also include post-secondary education in a related field, coupled with at least five years of relevant experience. A certified coaching designation would be an asset.
The Exciting Extras
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a range of benefits to ensure you are set up to thrive in a healthy work-life balance at Clark Wilson:
- Flexible working arrangements;
- A health and wellness spending account to pay for items that will help you with your unique needs: an exercise bike, swimming lessons, or your pets’ vet bills. It’s up to you!
- Personal days to help you balance outside commitments such as moving into a new home, taking your car for its’ annual service, or visiting the dentist;
- An annual day off with pay and long service bonuses to help you celebrate your work anniversary;
- Health coverage for you and your family, including: overseas emergency medical care, prescriptions, vision care, dental care, para-medical services, life insurance and hospital accommodation;
- An annual budget to invest in your professional growth and mentorship to help you achieve your goals;
- Help planning for a comfortable retirement - we’ll match your RRSP contributions up to 5% of your gross income;
- Continuation of your salary at 100% for a portion of your pregnancy/parental leave so you can spend quality, worry-free time with your family;
- A generous monetary incentive for employee referral;
- Opportunities to give back to your community through firm initiatives; and
- Friday night socials, tasty treat days (the last one was Earnest Ice Cream), off-site social events, and team-building events throughout the year.
Who We Are
Clark Wilson is a rapidly growing regional law firm focused on providing the best possible service for our clients. We’re consistently recognized by the media and business community for our professional excellence.
Our team consists of over 275 professionals serving some of the most recognizable brands in the world. Together, we’ve created a special culture, recognized by Great Place to Work as one of the best in Canada, that we’d love to share with you.
How to Apply
Please visit our website to find out more about Clark Wilson (www.cwilson.com). You can apply for this position here or by directing your resume to Synthia Kloot, COO.
Clark Wilson is an equal opportunity employer and advocate. This is not a statement we take lightly; it is part of who we are. We don’t just celebrate diversity, we rely on it to cultivate our culture, provide new perspectives, and grow our collective wisdom.
If you’d like to discover a little more about Clark Wilson and what it’s like to work with us, click here to visit our careers page.
We thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.